Monday, February 20, 2012

Giving up Mary Kay

I was a dedicated Mary Kay consultant and consumer for almost 2 years, when I found out this weekend that they were decieving me all along.

I remember, almost 2 years ago, in May- going to my first Mary Kay party- trying all of the skincare and loving it. There was a question and answer period, and I asked: "Are your products tested on animals?"
The consultant confidently answered, "No. Mary Kay has a firm stance against Animal Testing. Mary Kay was an animal lover and she wouldn't stand for it."

Shortly after, I became a consultant, began selling and using the products, and loving it. At every party I had, I shared the wonderful news that my clients were buying 100% cruelty free products, and I had a lot of friends who truly appreciated that.

Then came this weekend. PETA posted an article stating that Mary Kay, Avon and Estee Lauder were secretly doing animal testing. I went to Mary Kay to research this and make sure PETA had not made a mistake: after all, this is the company that time and time again, confidently boasted that we would never test on animals.

Soon after signing in to my Mary Kay Consultant account, I found a letter from Mary Kay President: Darrell Overcash. This is what it read:

UPDATE: A Message from Darrell Overcash
Published 02.17.12

Some of you may have seen or heard that PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), the animal activist organization, has changed the status of Mary Kay and other cosmetics companies on its website, moving us from its list of “Companies That Do Not Test on Animals” to its list of “Companies That Do Test on Animals.”

Let’s set the record strait: Mary Kay is committed to the elimination of animal testing. Mary Kay’s policy has always been consistent- nothing has changed. Our commitment to the elimination of animal testing has never wavered. We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients- nor do we ask others to do so on our behalf – except when absolutely required by law.

Regulations on cosmetics constantly change, but Mary Kay has never wavered from our commitment to use alternative testing methods. There was only one country where we operate, among more than 35 around the world, that by law under certain circumstances require cosmetics to be tested on animals: China. Please know that none of the products you have purchased here in the United States have been tested on animals.

Rest assured that our commitment to the elimination of animal testing has never wavered. We have been working to continue to work very closely with the Chinese government to demonstrate that alternative testing methods ensure safe and effective products. For more than two decades, Mary Kay has been a global leader in helping to develop alternative testing methods for product safety.

If you receive questions from your customers, you can assure them that despite whatever they may hear from PETA, at Mary Kay, nothing has changed: we remain firm in our commitment to eliminate the practice of animal testing.

Thank you for your support of this great Company.

Darrell Overcash.


-----
Now that you have read the letter as well, I'm sure you can understand that what I got out of this letter was this: "We don't animal test, except for in China ( but that doesnt count because it the law!" right?

I posted this on Facebook and was met with many remarks from my consultant friends that read things like:
"Well, why dont you call Mary Kay and see exactly what KIND of animal testing they do. It might not be dangerious to the animals."

This set a flame in my mind: Well what the heck does it matter what kind of testing they are doing? They are performing Animal Testing. They are confining animals to cages in laboratories and performing tests! These animals are not free to live their lives. They are most likely scared, and in pain, and not FREE.

Maybe I'm being overly eccentric here, but since when did an animal's Life become less important than a Human life?

So I quit.

I am no longer selling Mary Kay, and am getting rid of the rest of my inventory at 25% off, weaning off the rest of my supply of home use products ( because I also don't belive in wasting what you have), and shopping for a new line of cruelty free, skin care products.

Suggestions?

13 comments:

  1. That was very brave of you to quit outright! Good for you for standing up for what you believe in. I use Avon stuff, because my mom's an Avon lady, but unfortunately THEY resumed animal testing too! When my current stuff is gone (which may be awhile, as I only put on makeup maybe 1x/week), I'm going to have to look for another [affordable] brand to try. Let me know if you find anything particularly good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very disheartening that these companies continue to test on animals. But, I am also a big believer in "voting" with my dollar everyday and there are many fantastic vegan and/or cruelty free companies that I do support like Annmarie Gianni and Josie Maran

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you know if someone does animal testing? I just switched to Simple Skincare (http://www.simpleskincare.com/) "Simple has no dyes, artificial perfumes or harsh irritants that can upset your skin."
    Mary Kay products irritate my skin so much that I can't use them. And their products are so strongly scented that I didn't want to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,

      If it's not explicitly stated that a company does not test on animals then the only way to find out is to contact the company (as far as I know). I'm vegan and had been using Simple because they're animal product free. But just yesterday I sent them an email to confirm that they also don't test on animals, because I realised that they may still do so. I'll let you know when I get a reply!

      Delete
  4. It's true! And, sometimes companies are subsidiaries to larger companies that test on animals... Take Origins-- they do not test on animals, BUT they are a subsidiary to Estee Lauder, who DO test on animals, so be careful either way. Right now I am using LUSH products. Most of their products are Vegetarian, some are Vegan, but None are tested on animals. Just do a little research and you'll find alot of good stuff out there. Veganbeautyreview.com is an awesome site to check out for great Vegan skincare products :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work for a network marketing company that is vegan and never tests on animals. If you'd like more information you can email me at alisamridolfino@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work for a network marketing company that is vegan and never tests on animals. If you'd like more information you can email me at alisamridolfino@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Kay made the hard decision of complying with China's government laws, which is against their morals to keep1,000's of women's jobs. Nothing from Mary Kay in the US or any other country besides China, is tested on animals. Know the truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow this is heartbreaking I too was a Mary Kay consultant for a couple of years I am also Muslim and this is the third site I stumbled apon I can't believe my eyes when I am reading this and I was doing Mary Kay before 9/11

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arbonne (37 yr old company) produce high premium Vegan Certified products...also no harmful, toxic chemicals. I can tell you more & show you how to receive generous discounts. Please contact me: 07549 856325

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here’s where you are incorrect with your statement and what you took from that letter. Mary Kay does not test on animals not even in China. China takes the Texas made, non animal tested products and test them themselves to allow the consultants there to sell them, NOT Mary Kay. Is it still wrong, absolutely. But here’s another tid bit of information for you, the women that sell Mary Kay in China do it to keep their children. They have a laws based on ones income, that limits them to conceiving children. So yes, China test our products those women need to supliment their income to keep the children they have. Mary Kay does not test. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was about to go to a Mary Kay party today, until I read this. Thank you. It’s worse making a deceiving “its ok” statement like that, than coming outright and saying yes we test on animals. What I find rediculous is how he kept repeating and repeating their stance. Well if you’re so firm on the stance then stop selling in china ya jack@@@!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I strongly recommend Wet 'N Wild and E.L.F. (Eyes-Lips-Face). All of their products are vegan and cruelty-free. It's not enough to not test on animals; if you want to be TRULY cruelty-free, then you must purchase from companies whose products do not contain animal ingredients!

    ReplyDelete